Thursday, June 1, 2017

Using Slack in a very small team.

In preparation for the master we, Sarah and I, have been using slack as our main communications platform. This, as it turns out, has been incredibly helpful, due to the app integration.

Also I didn't want to use facebook chat. Not for "official" business.

Basically, I've set it up so that Trello, BitBucket and Google Calendar are all linked to Slack, and send activity logs to different channels. This makes sure that both of us know exactly what is going on at all times, and that makes communication a lot easier. No need to ask someone to do something, or when a deadline is due, just go to the appropriate channel and see if it's there. Whenever something happens I get a notification.

For example: Sarah pushes an update to BitBucket and moves a task from "To Do" to "In Progress" on Trello. I get immediate notifications from slack that these things are happening, and, without exchanging a word, I know Sarah has finished something and started work on another.

However, it's not just about real-time updates, but also keeping a log of things. This is so that we, in a years time, can look back and show exactly what we did at which point in time, what we discussed during meetings, which builds were shared,... pretty much everting. This can be used during presentations or to show people who would be interested in our creative process.

Using twine for text based games.

Complete passage structure.


The cool thing about twine, that I've noticed, is that it's got plenty of coding potential. This was mostly to explore these possibilities. Below you can see some of the structure involved.

A randomly generated passage.

Adapted from the story written for the storytelling cource, which you can find here:

Go to the full story.

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Personal Project: Remaking Motherboard -> Bridges


I'm remaking my Motherboard game because of a few reasons:

- One majoy coding error that disables a piece from being moved outright.
- The complaint that it's only 4 player and only with XBox controllers.
-  The pathfinding algorithm being way too simple and illogical.

That's why I'm going from this:

Original Motherboard Game
 To This:

New Motherboard Game

Here's what I got so far:

I've written a script that can dynamically rewrite the strings that it uses to access the Unity Input Manager. There you can also generate anything from '1' to 'as-many-input-device-as-you've-set-up'.

For mouse controls, currently it's only one. So any of the 4 players can be setup with the one mouse (or all players with the one mouse, if you want), but seeing as how it's possible for games like "JamesTown" to do it merits more research.

The keyboards are a lot easier. I've picked out combinations of keys that make sense accros the keyboard and made sure none of them overlapped. The you can plug in 4 keyboards into the computer and, as long as each player only touches his own buttons, play with up to 4 players.

Like so

Controllers are handled by unity's Input Manager.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Game concept Planetary base building.

Pitch: a base building game where the bases are set on circular tracks and must fight with each other when they pass each other.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

JamToday 2016 | C-Mine Crib

my second GameJam, I think this one worked out way better than the first one. That meaning that we actually managed to make a game. Always a plus.

Our game was called Gravity Assist and, trying to keep in with the theme of maths, was about using gravity and command-line style controls. This gives the 'space-sim' a very challenging edge.

We had a good team.